Topband: Beverage Antenna on a slope

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage Antenna on a slope
From: btippett@alum.MIT.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 11:13:34 +0000
W4IQ wrote:

<What effect will the slope have on the pattern of a Beverage?

        This should lower the effective takeoff angle of your
Beverage.  Your ground is sloping down about 17 degrees (arc
tan 300/1000).  The takeoff angle for a 1000' Beverage on flat
average ground is 27 degrees with a vertical beamwidth of 35
degrees.  Thus your sloping Beverage should have a takeoff of
10 degrees (27 minus 17) with the same vertical beamwidth.

        I would think this would work well but there might be
times when signals will be arriving well above the angles that
your Beverage will receive best (0-27.5 degrees).  At least
this is better than running the Beverage uphill which would
have the opposite effect of raising the takeoff angle by 17
degrees!  I have used downhill sloping Beverages for many years
and they seem to work well although my slope is not as great
as yours.

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV