Topband: Multi-Band Inverted-L?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Multi-Band Inverted-L?
From: jmaass@columbus.rr.com (jmaass)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:41:14 -0500
Having invested a great deal of time installing the radials under
my 160m Inv-L, I'm wondering whether it's practical to modify it
for use on 80m as well.

Current configuration is 45-feet vertical (Hy-Tower + aluminum
mast) and approximately 85-feet horizontal (run to my 70-foot
tower, 150 feet away). It's fed through a 2.25:1 Unun at the base.
Approximately 130 radials on the ground, most 100+ feet long.

I've been happy with the performance, although I'd prefer a taller
antenna for the band.

Long ago I picked up a (hefty) 80-meter trap, intended for a 160/80
meter dipole. I'm thinking of inserting it in the horizontal wire with
some appropriate trimming to provide coverage on both bands.
Am I missing something fundamental here? I've not seen this
described in the magazines or books, but it seems like a
reasonable configuration. Too much loss in the trap? Won't
work at all?
73,

Jeff Maass     jmaass@columbus.rr.com     Located near Columbus Ohio
         USPSA # L-1192   NROI/CRO   Amateur Radio K8ND
 Maass' IPSC Resources Page:  http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass