Topband: Re: Short Vertical...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Short Vertical...
From: royanjoy@ncn.net (Roy Koeppe)
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:42:18 -0600
Re:

"I need some info...ideas...for a short vertically polarized antenna.
Vertical height limitation of
45'"

I find a short, folded unipole (also called a hairpin) works well. It
has NO loading coil, and is resonated with a series cap at the
feedpoint. Two caps, in an Omega style match, can adjust for 52 ohms Z
as well as resonate the antenna. The element is always at direct DC,
earth ground for lightning protection.

With the good ground system you mentioned, this can be an efficient
antenna, considering its size. It can be used with a top hat or tee top
as well as alone, with improved efficiency (due to raised radiation
resistance) and bandwidth.

73,       Roy         K6XK        Iowa