Topband: Re: Short Vertical...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Short Vertical...
From: Aprewitt@prodigy.net (Aprewitt)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:40:02 -0700
Hi All,
Just a quick brief comment about the Uni-Hat. I have been using the Uni-Hat
for about 7 months now on 160, 80 and 40 meters. It is erected in my back
yard ( Tucson AZ desert + rocks + cactus) with 30 125 foot radials( soon to
be 60). I use an Icom 765 and an Alpha 86 @ 1kw. The antenna works better
than I ever imagined.
So far this season 50 countries on 160 and 50 on 80 meters. I can work
anything I can hear! In most cases it only takes a few calls, even in
serious pileups.
I just put up a flag rx antenna to help with the hearing. 1st qso with the
flag on rx was 6w/k3ipk on 160 and 80. I could hear him on the uni-hat but I
could actually copy him on the flag.
The Uni-Hat does not seem to work very well as a local antenna. The guys in
my area with low inverted V's have much stronger local signals than I do.
But for long haul it seem to work better than I ever imagined.
Someone should try to model this antenna because it seems to work better
than all the technical experts predictions. I will admit I have no other
xmit antenna to compare it to. Later this year I will try to install an
inverted L and see how they compare. However, at the moment I think I xmit
better than I can hear.

Now lets keep the flames to a minimum. I know it will not beat a 4sq or full
size vertical but, for someone with restricted space or CC&R's I think it
provides a more than reasonable antenna for 160/80/40.

Glad to answer any questions.

73, Art N4PT Tucson,AZ