Topband: Elnec model of Inv L

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Elnec model of Inv L
From: W2pm@aol.com (W2pm@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:19:52 EST
I am seeking comments on this Elnec modeling exercise:

I entered a 3/8wave Inv L with a 1/4 wave counterpoise at 5' off ground and
noticed fairly low gain of .492dbi at maximum takeoff angle.  Then by
accident I eliminated the counterpoise as I was about to add 60 radials but
executed the model before I added them and noticed the reported gain rose to
2.1 dbi with no counterpoise and no radials.  With the 60 radials of course
the gain rose to 2.538 dbi.

Why is there more gain with no counterpoise?

Is this an anomoly with Elnec - I'm using an older version - v3.07 which I
think is from 1995.

73 Pete, W2PM