Topband: Elnec model of Inv L

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Elnec model of Inv L
From: kaufmann@ll.mit.edu (John Kaufmann)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:04:20 -0500
At 01:19 PM 11/30/99 -0500, W2pm@aol.com wrote:

>I am seeking comments on this Elnec modeling exercise:
>Why is there more gain with no counterpoise?

ELNEC (or any other MININEC derived modeling program) is not capable of
accurately calculating gain of antennas with horizontal wires close to
ground, including verticals with elevated radials (or counterpoise).  It
tends to give inflated gain estimates.  EZNEC, which has the NEC-2 engine,
is claimed to be more accurate at this, although there is some dispute
bout just how accurate it is.  In the EZNEC user manual, W7EL cautions
that modeling results for elevated radial systems may be in error below 3
MHz.  However, it is likely that EZNEC is closer to the truth than ELNEC.

73, John W1FV