Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: kn4lf@webtv.net (Thomas Giella)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:39:00 -0500 (EST)

Dan W8CAR Said:
There is hope ! Of course we all know how fickle this lady can be but
maybe we can up the activity!!!

Thomas KN4LF Says:
Same here, got my first one of the season night before last. Last season
I worked 45 new countries, with all but 8 coming after February 1st.
Why? Mid winter anomaly. Excessive D layer ionization from southern
hemisphere summer, spills over into the northern hemisphere along
magnetic lines of force, starting around our first day of winter and
lasts 4-6 weeks. The spill over creates absorption from south to north
that otherwise would normally not occur.

Thomas Giella
KN4LF
Plant City, Fl.
kn4lf@webtv.net