Topband: Re: Beverage Length

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Beverage Length
From: w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:51:27 -0400
Hi Jim

>      Ok, so no low angle signals for DX on 160 and 80, correct?
>      How far from the sea do you have to be to get low angle?
>      If this is correct why don´t we use high angle radiators?
>      I mean., if it isn´t low angle it must be high, or what am
>      I missing here?

I don't buy into that high angle stuff for a minute!

I have many transmitting antennas including dipoles at 300 feet,
and ground mounted verticals. The dipoles (at best) tie the ground
mounted verticals around sunrise, but never beat the verticals when
conditions are off peak.

The lower the dipole I have, the less favorable it is compared to a
vertical.

ZL3REX switched from a low horizontal to an inverted L (vertical),
and found the same. VK3ZL just installed a (get this) 40 foot high
coil loaded vertical with 16 radials and most nights it ties or beats
the 100 foot high dipole he has. On occasion the dipole is better for
Bob, on other occasions the vertical.

My most effective receiving antennas, when conditions are marginal
are always verticals, and I have NEVER had a dipole lower than
200 feet beat the high horizontals or my verticals at distances
greater than 200-300 miles. There are times right at sunrise peaks
when they are all about even, but the high-angle low dipoles are
never better.

This just doesn't happen to VK/ZL, it happens to JA, Africa,
Europe, and even in the Americas. The wave angle might be high or
higher at sunrise some mornings, but it sure isn't the rest of the
time.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com