Topband: Quick disconnect for Ladder Line

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Quick disconnect for Ladder Line
From: Billg@warwick.net (Bill Gerhold)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:50:08 -0800
I was wondering if anyone has a neat idea for a quick
disconnecting method or device for ladder line.  I would
like to disconnect my 160 dipole and ladder line during
lightning storms but havent found a good way of doing this
without upsetting the balanced line such as using a knife
switch.  I have a 2 pole double throw knife switch that
would be ideal for this purpose but the distance of only
3/4" from the common point of the switch to the antenna
connection is too short.

Lightning would more than likely just flash over the switch.
I thought of just using a small length of plexiglass about 12"
long, drilling 4 holes (2 in each end), install wing nut studs
in these holes.  Then, lay out a 12" length of ladder line between
these studs.  Then connecting both ladder feed from the dipole and
ladder feed from the house thereby completing the feeder line.

What do you think.  Any better or simpler ideas?

Bill (WA2AEH)