Topband: Insulated elements atop shunt fed tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Insulated elements atop shunt fed tower
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:08:43 -0500
Thanks to Tom, Natan, Bill, Earl and Mauri for setting me straight on the
potential problem with insulated yagi elements atop a shunt-fed tower.
Somewhere in my amateur radio education I'd missed the idea that high
voltages always appear at the top of a vertical, regardless of its
electrical height.

That being said, I'm planning to run only 100 watts on 160 for the
foreseeable future.  The complexity of reworking both my 40-meter yagi and
my top C-3E to ground all the elements, coupled with uncertainty about the
effect on interaction between the two yagis, means that if I can't get away
with that power level then I'll have to drop the shunt feed idea altogether
and figure out something else.

W8JI:
>By changing height to 100 feet, no other changes, voltage
>becomes 2576v RMS or 3642 volts peak between the element and
>boom. Still high for the insulators I see on most antennas.

Thanks, Tom - I was wondering how you could quantify the voltage.  Sounds
fairly safe with a 100-foot tower and 100 watts -- maybe ~900 volts peak?
The Force 12 antennas use PVC pipe with ~1/8" wall as the insulation.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is waiting for your input at