Topband: TOP LOAD!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: TOP LOAD!
From: rmread@attglobal.net (Robert Marshall-Read)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 22:18:20 +0100
Topbanders,

Wondered how long it would take for everyone to realise, top loading is the
KEY!  Drooping, not drooping, makes little difference. I was in the MW
(medium wave) business for many years prior to my present job, and Tom
(W8JI) is right.  If you aren't a tower owner, a BIG tower owner, go for top
three equal length loading wires drooping to 30 feet above ground.  I have
no trouble braking pile-ups....to any place I can hear.

In the early 80's I got DXCC number 269 on 160 with a top loaded vertical in
an English (ground floor)   flat complex with a back garden that was postage
stamp size (50 feet by 50 feet)....60 feet up to a tree, three equal length
top hat wires drooping to about 20 feet off the ground, and a mile of wire
in the ground all within 200 feet of the feed point, that was the antenna.
I have worked 160m from all kinds of locations, including EI7IU with a
short.....very short...vertical, but broke the Euro Lid Pile to XZ with a
hundred watts....the secret is TOP LOADING.

As in real estate, top loading..... top loading, top loading...forget
whether it is horizontal or drooping......top loading, good wire below the
feed point, and a copper tube coil of at least 10 inches in diameter works a
treat.

IT NEVER FAILS. Ask VK6HD, W8JI, (all the DXpeditions), and anyone else on
in the summer that hears me....it works!  Don't try for perfection, TOP LOAD
and get a good receiver.

Now, how do you use your pennants? Can't hear them, can't work them.

73 de Bob G4VGO

Bob Marshall-Read  CEng
UMTS Consultant
Standards Team