Topband: TOP LOAD!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: TOP LOAD!
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:24:33 +0100
>As in real estate, top loading..... top loading, top loading...forget
>whether it is horizontal or drooping......top loading, good wire below the
>feed point, and a copper tube coil of at least 10 inches in diameter works a
>treat.
>
>IT NEVER FAILS. ...

//   A friend experimented with various top-loading schemes.   To
evaluate the results he made field-strength measurements.  His findings
were that various top hats make a change in the reactance of the anrenna,
however, they did not make a change in observed field strength.  My guess
is that this means that top-hats affect matching, but they do not much
increase radiation resistance.

cheers

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.