Topband: Internet access via power lines reborn in Europe

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Internet access via power lines reborn in Europe
From: john.w1fv@telocity.com (John Kaufmann)
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 13:09:25 -0400
This European proposal seems to stand in contrast to the precedent set by
high-speed DSL.  As many of you know, DSL uses radio frequency signalling
techniques over telephone lines.  The bandwidths depend on the speed of the
service, but the spectrum of wideband DSL can extend up to several
MHz.  There is obviously the same potential for interference
here.  However, the technical specs I have seen for DSL call for deep
spectral notching (i.e. filtering out) of  the DSL signal specifically
around the amateur bands to prevent interference to hams.   I suspect hams
were involved in development of these specs :-)

The subject of DSL interference was brought up on this reflector some time
ago and as I recall there were only a few responses, including mine, and
none indicated any interference problems. I am also not aware of any
interference being reported elsewhere-- anybody have any information to the
contrary?

73, John W1FV