Topband: T32EQ Classic Case of 160 Grayline

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: T32EQ Classic Case of 160 Grayline
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 17:51:01 EDT
I was up this morning listening for either T32 or 3D2 at around 0930.  From
earlier posts, I saw that I had missed the 3D2 operation earlier at what
seemed around thier sunset, and I saw the post at 0800 that K7CA had also
been hearing the T32EQ as well.  Then I saw a posting for the T32EQ at 0919
by KH6DV.  I just sat on that frequency waiting but to no avail. I can
ussually hear stuff from the Pacific by now, so I was wondering what was up.

Then at 1026, KH6DV said he was still there but nothing heard here.  Then I
started hearing the east coast calling at around thier sunrise.  Talk about
salt in a bleeding wound-

K3RR at 10:58 posted him then N4SU at 1115Z.  I heard a few more stations
east of here calling/working the T32EQ but I could not hear a thing from
T32EQ.  Then at 1135z K4IQJ worked/posted him and at 12:30, 1/2 an before my
sunrise, N5RG posted him.  Still, nothing. Were my antennas hooked up?

As it was getting light outside with the eastern horizon glowing in pink and
red highlights, I began hearing the T32EQ coming out of the noise but with
QSB.  I called him, earlier then I wanted to, but still I called- And I think
he worked me so I sat back a bit and waited for his signal to build.  Then a
few minutes later, W0AH called him but I'm not sure if they had a QSO. I
though the T32 was gone-

 A few minutes later, here he comes crawling out of the QSB again and I
worked him a second time after hearing him call CQ several times with no QSB.
 I thought I would hear 5 others calling him, but I was in the clear- Were
other stations experiencing what I had been with a T32EQ blackout until the
DX gods ok'ed the QSO around sunrise here and there?

There is a point I find on 160 to go for it- sometimes, if it's too soon, the
QSB might get your report, I think this happened on my first attempt.  But a
few minutes later, he got my report and didnt seem to mind working my twice,
nice op-

I heard K0RF work him at around 1300, just about or sunrise, but by then, he
was fading into the noise, and Chuck had to call him a few times to get his
report- and his station is miles ahead of mine-  He must have been right on
the edge of being able to make the QSO-.

  After listening for 4 hours, knowing T32EQ was on frequency by the
postings, I had about a 20 minute window to hear him, and a 5-10 minute
window to work him a little before my sunrise- Seems pretty classic-  But at
the same time, I can hear KH6 all night, so this experience was very
intersting-

 I'm not a big beliver in working DX at my or the DX's sunset, but the 3D2
postings sure showed something was up there this morning-  I'm not going to
bed tonight-

I know that there is some talk about 3D2CI only running barefoot now as they
are having power problems, but I'm confident that anything is posible at our
sunrise-  and now maybe earlier at their sunset-

One pont of frustration with the T32EQ this morning was hearing the west
coast ops work him at all times during this 4 hours, not a lot, but a number
had, and I can only assume I live in a black RF hole compared to how well the
west coast was hearing this morning-

73

Paul  N0AH
The Furthest Active South East W7 Low Band Station In The World- -har-