Topband: shunt feed help needed

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: shunt feed help needed
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 13:27:30 +0200
> Yes, it does.  The "secret" in shunt feeding a tower is to find the
> 50-ohm point where the shunt wire attaches to the tower.  There will
be
> some inductive reactance in additon to the 50 ohms of R, so a series
> capacitor is need at the feedpoint to cancel that reactance, ending up
> with a pure 50-ohm resistive load.

The point where to attach the gamma rod, the distance from tower and
the ratio between the tower and the rod itself play all a significant
role.
What finally should be a convenient 50 +JX is the impedance at the feed
end of the rod. Incidentally, although scarcely used, there the
impedance could be also a 50 -JX and the reactive series device could
be perfectly an inductor to transform into a 50 + j0.
Last but not least, when the tower is exactly resonant, or you move the
resonance doing something mechanical or you do it electrically
otherwise there won't be a match with a gamma, just as it happens with
yagis.
Practically speaking to avoid climbing too many times I'd try a rough
PC modeling to get an idea of what happens varying spacing, rod
thickness and tap height.

73,
Mauri I4JMY