Topband: re : CQWW SSB & Our Continuing Bandplan Discussions....

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: re : CQWW SSB & Our Continuing Bandplan Discussions....
From: w8ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:17:11 -0400
> One simple answer might be that ARRL and CQ magazine indicate in their
> SSB contest rules that penalties will be assessed for US participants
> that use SSB below 1843 kHz during the contest(s).

Unfortunately, both ARRL and CQ have been historically reluctant to
impose any penalty based on complaints of operating behavior ... they
don't want to create a "contest police" and most Official Observers
are not sufficiently contest trained.

The only penalty that contest sponsors seem comfortable with are those
that can be substantiated from submitted logs (excessive dupes/busted
calls/uniques, rubber clocking, etc.).  Since logs do not normally include
exact frequency (just band/mode), how would they enforce the band plan?

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK