Topband: good condx and minimum power

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: good condx and minimum power
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:10:04 +0000
Arrived home from work at 0630z today to find the band in excellent shape
and very quiet. Cranked the FT1000MP down to minimum power (about 1 watt)
and DJ0MDR Mike (who was 599) came right back, gave me a 559. John G3PQA
(also 599) gave me a couple of QRZ before pulling out my QRP and gave me a
449, commenting that condx must be poor before I told him I was QRP.

Bob G4VGO was almost as strong as the other two but I had to QRO to 25
watts before I could get his attention (then he gave me a 579). It took 30
watts to snag G4UFK (who was only 569 here, gave me 449).

Toughest was DK7EW at 0710z, he was only 559 here -- had to kick on the amp
(1.5 kw) and then only got a 529!

TX antenna here is 33m high top-loaded series fed tower, hundreds or
radials. Beverages for RX.

Up for my sunrise at 1145z-1225z, and band was dead. Couldn't even copy
VK3ZL when he was working W8JI, and K1ZM spotted that he was 579 up north.
Only thing heard on 80 or 40m was a CO2 on 40m.

73 and happy holidays/Jon AA1K
Delaware