Topband: Time Out Folks!

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Time Out Folks!
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:12:28 +0000
        We are beginning to turn the reflector into a poll on
the RM-10352 Petition and this is NOT the place to do it.  The
place to make yourself heard by the FCC is here:
        http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi
Just enter RM-10352 in the first box and fill in all non-optional
boxes.  If anyone has problems with this I will be happy to help you
through the process.

If you have not read the Petition, you may do so most easily here:
        http://users.vnet.net/btippett/rm_petition.htm
There is an Executive Summary (II on the page above) if you do not
have time to read the full RM Petition (III) and Appendices (IV).

Here are a few more references to help you in your decision:

Current FCC Part 97.305(a) and 97.305(c) regulations:
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/

IARU Regional Bandplans for all 3 IARU Regions:
http://www.iaru-r2.org/hf_e.htm

Current ARRL Voluntary 160 Bandplan:
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html#160m

        I will add that there has been confusion by some who
are reading things into the Petition that are NOT there.  We are
NOT proposing adopting the detailed mode recommendations in the
ARRL Bandplan, although our proposal is totally consistent with the
Bandplan regarding restriction of wideband modes to 1843 and above.
This can best be seen by comparing current regulations to what
RM-10352 proposes to change:

Current regulations per Part 97.305(a):
"An amateur station may transmit a CW emission on any frequency
authorized to the control operator."  (NOTE: This is a long-standing
FCC regulation that applies to ALL AMATEUR FREQUENCY ALLOCATIONS).

Proposed change to Part 97.305(a) per RM-10352:
NO CHANGE

Current regulations per Part 97.305(c):
Band    Frequencies     Emission types
160m    Entire band     RTTY, data
160m    Entire band     Phone, image

Proposed change to Part 97.305(c) per RM-10352:
Band    Frequencies     Emission types
160m    Entire band     RTTY, data   (NO CHANGE)
160m    1.843-2.000MHz  Phone, image (the ONLY CHANGE proposed)

        I hope this clears up any confusion.  RM-10352 is basically
NO CHANGE to present regulations with the SOLE exception of limiting
Phone, image (SSB, AM and SSTV) to 1.843-2.000 MHz, which effectively
protects an exclusive narrowband area below 1843 for CW and narrowband
digital/data (PSK31, QRSS and whatever new narrowband digital modes may
develop in the future).  Please read the above references, make your
own decision and MAKE YOUR COMMENT TO THE FCC where it will do some
good.  I strongly suggest using your own words when making comments
since it will be apparent to the FCC if you simply "parrot" what
someone else has said, although a simple "I support/do not support
RM-10352" is OK too.  Thanks for your interest and please do make
your comments before the FCC window closes February 7.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV