Topband: 160 band plan

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 band plan
From: bernie@dailydx.com (Bernie McClenny, W3UR)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:26:05 +0000
I was rather disappointed with some of my fellow US Topband operators
who operated both intentionally and unintentionally below 1843 on SSB.
Thankfully the band plan was followed by most.

Friday night I tried to work two new ones, which in itself is difficult
at this time having worked 230 countries on 160 meters and conditions
being the way they have been.  I was unable to make the QSOs because of
QRM from US stations who were clearly operating where they shouldn't
have been.  Fortunately Saturday night both stations were on again.
PW0T was spotted multiple times and the SSB QRM seemed to have been
cleared up by the time I went down to work him.  5R8FU was another
story.  The QRM caused by some XE's pileup of US stations made it
extremely difficult as only 3 stations were able to work him - K3RR,
W3BGN and myself.

The guys who broke the band plan, knowingly or unknowingly, damaged the
integrity of the gentlemen's band.  In fact those who knew better caused
even more harm by calling CQ below 1843 and having those who didn't know
better add to the cause.  Early this morning I heard a rag chew taking
place on 1824 on SSB.  So now the non contesters are also breaking the
band plan thinking it's OK because of the action of others.  For the
record I did participate in the SSB Contest.  The band was not full but
was crowded starting at 1843, lucky W4MYA!  I made about 400 QSOs.
Several stations I heard calling CQ below 1843 did not work W3UR as my
way of protesting their actions and I know I was not the only one doing
so.

Guys let's be gentlemen and follow the band plan!
Bernie, W3UR

--
Bernie McClenny, W3UR
Every thing you need to know about keeping up with the latest DX news at

Editor of - The Daily DX
          - The Weekly DX
          - How's DX