Topband: (the bandplan is working) Conditions on 160m lastnight

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: (the bandplan is working) Conditions on 160m lastnight
From: btippett@alum.mit.edu (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 15:10:50 +0000
KB8JVH wrote:
>If the DX window is now CW only, which I have no problem with,
>shouldn't there be a DX window for SSB set-up?

        Tony, CQ's recommended DX window for BOTH the CW and
SSB contests is 1830-35.  If USA SSB stations honored the bandplan,
1800-1843 would effectively become the SSB DX window for any DX
stations that chose to transmit there and listen for USA above 1843.
I hasten to add that ALL 3 IARU Regional Bandplans recommend
only narrowband modes below 1840, so anyone transmitting SSB below
is technically in violation of the IARU Bandplans.  Contrary to
what some will tell you, 61% of European DXCC entities have some
access above 1850 according to the list at:

   http://www.machlink.com/~k0ckdennis/topband20010517.html

        Regarding, N4UK's comment about the ragchews above 1843,
I didn't hear many of those during the contest.  However it is always
important to make sure you are not causing interference, whether
split or not.  I heard plenty of clear QSX frequencies above 1843,
especially above 1900 which should be relatively clear in Europe.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV