Topband: Beverage grounds

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage grounds
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:32:40 -0500
> I didn't try instant A/B comparisons with/without radials.  Just
> wonder if anyone has tried this, and what were their observations.
>
> My guess is that making the radials much longer the height of the
> beverage wire would degrade performance by establishing "good ground"
> under the beverage wire.

As a normal part of installing Beverages, I always sweep the
Beverage with an analyzer and look for standing waves.

As a normal part of maintenance, I record the swept SWR so I can
tell if anything changes.

This process also allows me to determine the ground rod
impedance, because all the numbers are there.

When I use a single ground of 3/4 inch copper pipe, a 4-5 foot pipe
has somewhere around 100 ohms of resistance. I had something
over that value near Atlanta, and less than that value at other
locations, but that is a good average.

While I can't say I've noticed a performance change, I do notice the
ground resistance changes a few dozen ohms or more with
moisture changes with one rod. That makes me uncomfortable, so
I either use two rods spaced several feet or add a couple long
radials...whatever is easier.

I figure if I am going to fuss around and optimize termination, I
might as well make sure it stays OK.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com