Topband: Low Dipole for RX?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Low Dipole for RX?
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 21:39:18 -0400
> one night.  Maybe I didn't do the "low dpole" justice?  Thoughts,
> comments and specific configurations are desired.  (off line is best,
> I would expect?)

Low dipoles, like any receiving antenna, primarily developes S/N
ratio by antenna pattern.

In order to improve S/N ratio, it has to have a higher response in
the direction of desired signal than undesired signals and noise.

If the noise is mainly arriving at very low angles and the signal at
high angles a low dipole can improve things, but like you I have
never found that to be true here. I'm sure there are cases where it
is true, but they would have to be cases with high local noise and a
comparison antenna that responds well to the noise. I just don't have
any local noise, so a low dipole is always a dog for receiving
anything more than a few hundred miles away at my QTH.

Your mileage may vary, and it doesn't hurt to try something.    73,
Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com