Topband: Beverage Frustrations

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage Frustrations
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 14:59:14 +0100
Hi Don,

I just let my resistors hang in the open air. Most of the connections are
soldered, or at least tightly twisted if I was in a hurry and didn't bring
the blow torch/soldering gun along. The ground-rod end is usually just
clamped to the ground rod with an all-stainless hose clamp.

Leaving them in the open makes inspection and maintenance easy. I haven't
had to replace one in four and a half years at this QTH; maybe only two or
three over 20 years at two previous QTHs. One of those was on a short wire
very close (within 50 feet) to the TX antenna, and I think the TX RF popped
the single 2-watt resistor I had been using. I replaced with a parallel
combination of about ten two-watt resistors (20 watts total) and never had
another failure on that one.

The resistors are at the bottom of the short vertical wire; I generally
don't slope the ends down -- tried that on a couple and didn't see any
improvement.

Most of my terminations now use two to four 2-watt resistors in parallel;
some use only one or two, depending on what I could scrounge from the junk
box at the time.

73/Jon AA1K
Delaware