Topband: Beverage Frustrations

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage Frustrations
From: cdietz@swbell.net (Logan Dietz)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 15:16:24 -0500
    I use a plastic container from the grocery store that is a Tupperware
knock off.  They are small with tight fitting lids and cost about a dollar
or two.  I run the leads through a hole in each side.
    Since I have cattle, I use a PVC pipe to protect the downlead and I then
build a box like contraption to protect the termination and ground post.  I
terminate next to a tree and place two treated fence boards (1"x6") one on
each side of the tree at the base and extending out from the tree far enough
to enclose the termination.  I put boards on top, covering the termination
and a board on the end to make it box-like.  The PVC pipe runs along side
the tree and the first covering board is a little distance away from the
tree.  If you put just one nail or screw (galvanized) in each board into the
tree, you can lift the whole thing up like a hinge to expose the termination
and ground post.

    I like to check the resistance of the ground connection occasionally.
Remember, when checking the termination resistance, you will get a false
reading unless one end is disconnected due to RF on the beverage.

Chuck W5PR