Topband: chicken wire ground screen

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: chicken wire ground screen
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 22:02:16 -0400
What is the consensus on the longevity of galvanized screen versus
copper radials? I am about to move to a small lot (50 x 100) which
is mostly covered with house (40 x 50) and I need to try to figure
out the best scheme for a topband counterpoise. The antenna will
likely be a toploaded vertical (45' ft vertical section) with the
antenna along the one side of the house. Screens seems to be a
more sensible approach as the there are two long strips of yard
about 6 feet wide along side the house in either direction from
the base of the antenna site. These strips run about 20 ft in either
direction and then open up into small yards areas (one in the front
and one in the back of the house). There is no vegation yet, so I
figured it would be a good time to put down some metal. The other
approach might be to run radials to a buss bar at the end of each
of the narrow strips and then fan out from the buss bars into the
front and back yard. When I was a teenager, I had decent results
with this sort of scheme (our TV tower was next to the house
near the property line), but it was certainly far from optimum.

Any thoughts from the group on which strategy to use (copper wire
or chicken wire). Also someone mentioned a while back that you
should silver solder (as opposed to PbSn) anything that will be in
contact with the ground. Is this correct? How about the galvanized
wire, what's the best way to bond it for good electrical integrity (brass
wire nuts) or can it be soldered?

Thanks and 73 de Mike,