Topband: front end protection

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: front end protection
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:56:30 -0400
Doug,

The forward voltage drop of a single normal switching diode in the
conducting state is about 0.6-0.7 volts. Are you advocating two in series
and then "back to back" for both polarities?

I believe ICE uses just one pair of diodes, back to back (0.7 volts
clamping), but had a 27 Ohm 1/2 Watt resistor in series with the receive
line to the diodes so the diodes don't blow up under high RF input but are
current limited.

Any comments on that?

73,

Joe, W1JR