Topband: Fw: 940,850,830

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Fw: 940,850,830
From: kr6c@juno.com (kr6c@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 19:57:33 -0800
Yo Chuck

I have all three radios and I hate to say this but the 830 seems
best on 160. The 850 is nice as it has the PC interface. The
940 PC interface option is hard to find if the radio you are
thinking of buying doesn't have one installed. Easy to tell as it
will have 5 vdc on the comm port.

I run multi-op in the contests and most of the ops prefer the 850
over the 940. Then again my 940 is old and these radios start
having problems with the circuit boards after awhile. Many solder
joints need to be retouched. I have found it with no filter selected
and have no idea how long the poor op was using it that way. Power
up/down seems to fix it, but I can't trust it anymore.

I use several 830's on 160, 781's for 20/40 and 850's everywhere
else. The 850 radio holds most of the world records in M/M contesting
and will give you the most bang for the buck.

If I were you I would go for the FT-1000(latest version) and be done with

it for another 20 years. The power of all its features probably
overwhelms
any top band issues.

73 Rich KL7RA

Only $9.95 per month!