Topband: beverage support spacing

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: beverage support spacing
From: W8AV@aol.com (W8AV@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 06:38:34 EST
In a message dated 11/21/02 3:55:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
w.marty.ray@delphiauto.com writes:

> Good news! I got permission to use the field behind my house to install
> winter beverages. Now for the fun stuff. I searched the archives for info
> on  beverage support types, but did not find much discussion on that topic.
> I saw no discussion on distance between supports. What is the general
> consensus on support materials that are readily available from Lowe's or
> Home Depot? How far apart should I plan on making the supports? I will be
> using 14awg insulated copper wire.

I use 10'  long 2x2's which I make from pressure treated 2x4'sthaty I have
cut in half length-wise with my table saw (you can also but 10 foot 2x2's at
Lowe's or Home Despot).  Then I go over to TSC (or Farm N Fleet if you have
one....they closed ours a year ago) and get some electric fence post
insulators (the ones that have a hole in the middle that you drive a nail
through to anchor them to the post).  I nail the insulator to the top of the
post and use the insulator to hold the beverage wire.  I then take my spud
bar and make about a 4-5 inch hole in the ground, insert the other end of the
pole, and tamp the ground tightly around the base of the pole.  Since I use
450 ohm line for my two wire beverages which is made of copperweld wire which
doesn't stretch, I can tighten up the beverages pretty tight and the pole
only has to keep the beverage from moving side to side.  The 450 ohm wire
also snaps into the top of  insulator nicely.  My poles are just far enough
apart to keep the beverage from sagging (I use about 7-8 for a 650 footer)

It works really well and is easy to remove in the spring.

73........de Goose W8AV

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---