Topband: Is There A Post Sunrise Peak?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Is There A Post Sunrise Peak?
From: Brian Campbell" <VY2MGY@sympatico.ca (Brian Campbell)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:47:29 -0500
Good Morning All

This is a new one for me.

This morning I was on 1.821 with everyone else trying to copy JA1HQT [ which
I couldn't ].
I kept hearing VE3DO calling him and as I am about +/- 60km [ 40 miles ]
from VE3DO I thought
it was a case of classic spotlight propagation, which it probably was. So I
was not hearing a thing from 1200 till
my Sunrise at 1245. At 1246 I still had the headset on as I was reading my
email when I started copying
JA1HQT  at a 219 just above my noise floor [ which was S0 ]. I was able to
just copy him until 1254 -
9 minutes after my sunrise when he QSB'b into the noise and never came back.
So what I can gather from this
is that maybe the machanism that was providing Spotlight Propagation to
stations like VE3DO, or inversely, providing
a Spotlight Null, to my place suddenly changed or moved, as  Es Propagation
does on 6 meters, and I was able to,
briefly, copy JA1HQT?

And no I didn't send my call [ not even once! ] because I knew all I would
do is QRM the stations that did have
a decent copy. Unfortunately I have yet to work a JA and this was only the
second opening here this season
- last opening here was around christmas for about 5 minutes at SR peak.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any theories as to why?

Sort of makes you want to wait til the sun is completely above the horizon
before shutting down.....

73 de Brian VY2MGY/VE3  VE3SQZ