Topband: Topband Skewed Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Topband Skewed Propagation
From: Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:05:40 -0500
> .....Basically the simplest way to look at medium frequency signal
> propagation path skewing is that the transmitted RF signal will "always"
> seek to propagate along the path with least absorption.....

>From a Physics standpoint, or even a literal meaning, the signal can't
possibly seek.

The force on charges we call radiation just goes where the re-radiation from
charges allows it to go. Someone else had an excellent clear post here a few
weeks ago about re-radiation (reflection) from earth in the Fresnel
(fre-nel) zone. The mechanisim in the ionosphere is no different. It is a
complex soup of charges that each become radiators, cancelling or enhancing
radiation in various directions and of course converting some radiation from
EM effects into energy that does not contribute to EM effects (heat).

"Always seek to propagate..." is a poor choice of words.

> level for many years and am currently the only "living" scientist with
total
> expertise on the subject of MF propagation at the moment.

I'm impressed, but always like to reach such conclusions through
demonstration rather than proclamation

73 Tom