Topband: Key clicks

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Key clicks
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat May 10 08:47:31 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Christensen, Esq." <w9ac@arrl.net>

> What does it take for the overseas companies to listen to us on this
issue?  Perhaps the FCC should only "type accept" amateur

I think we need to have a grass-roots effort.

Yaesu recently released a factory mod for one of their clicky radios,
engineered by the factory, and the result was either no change....or the
radio actually got worse!

This probably is because they don't understand the problem. It could go back
to the engineering people relying on the ARRL for technical standards, such
as the poor waveforms shown in the Handbooks as "optimal", and the incorrect
notion that CW changes occupied bandwidth with keying speed.

They just might not understand how CW works, and the ARRL may be afraid to
offend them by publishing honest reviews that apply pressure to correct
problems. Whatever the reason, it appears to be a communications breakdown
between users and designers. We are stuck with the results, and no one
appears to be helping.

73 Tom