Topband: Key clicks

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Key clicks
From: NX4D at comcast.net (Doug Waller)
Date: Sat May 10 14:00:52 2003
>    But if a product manager gets 50 letters from customers complaining
about key clicks and having to perform post-production mods,
> that would get noticed.  When I was working as a product manager, it took
far less feedback than that for us to say "hey, maybe we
> should pay attention to this."
> -- Eric K3NA

Convincing the manufacturers to give us better 160m rigs is surely a good
idea.  But what about all the otherwise great rigs already out there that
will continue to click up the band for years to come?  How many of us are
going to try any surgery on our highly miniaturized & fragile rig internals,
just to reduce key clicks?

Hams are mesmerized with all the add-on equipment available to us.  Look at
all the audio enhancement, keyer & other equipment in use today.  It seems
that a modified keyer, with the output rf brought through it, could clip the
beginning and end of each CW character, applying the proper rise and decay
rates for the chosen CW speed.  The reaction to keyer input rate would have
to be delayed slightly, but would not be noticeable.

While I do not have the ability to build such a circuit, I would not
hesitate to purchase such a device, were it to become available.
Then with an available fix for keyclicks to existing rigs, the FCC & other
international communications agencies could begin to tighten allowable
keyclick bandwidths, bringing new rigs into spec over a period of time.

73, Doug / NX4D