Topband: Flattop "T" vs. Aluminum Vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Flattop "T" vs. Aluminum Vertical
From: les at highnoonfilm.com (Les Rayburn)
Date: Wed May 14 10:15:59 2003

Since everyone was so helpful with suggestions for a mobile antenna, I thought
I'd ask for help with the base station 160 Meter antenna too.

My current antenna is a 45 foot high wire vertical, with a 70 foot three wire
flattop "T". All this is mounted over a "stealth counterpoise" that consists of
radials stapled to the underside of our very large deck.

This radials run about 40 feet in every direction, and are also connected to
the 27 foot above ground pool. The entire system is base tuned with
an SGC-239 tuner.

In addition to 160 Meters, this is my primary station antenna for 20 Meters,
and MARS work and must continue to function in this role. You can see
a photo of it at:
http://www.highnoonfilm.com/xmgr

My wife isn't thrilled with the two large masts, support ropes, guys, etc. that
support the flattop...and my neighbors probably aren't thrilled either.

I've considered replacing this with a single vertical that would be higher,
perhaps 60 feet made from aluminum tubing. But can't find many details
on the web about construction issues. If I go with the monopole, I'd like
to add a tophat of some kind, but again am troubled by the mechanical
details.

My questions are many:

1. For the modeling guru's, I wonder how my performance would differ
vs. the "T"?

2. I'd love to see some links to details on constructing a vertical and
tophat out of aluminum tubing...

Or at least hear some tips from others who have tried it.

3. Would my performance benefit from adding a top or mid coil
to either vertical and then allow the SGC-239 to tune the antenna
for other bands? (I'd love to get best possible performance on 160)

As always, thanks for the advice. This is a great group, just what I'd
expect from Topband!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF

Les Rayburn, director