Topband: RE: Omni VI+ A/B Test results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RE: Omni VI+ A/B Test results
From: k6se at juno.com (k6se@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jun 24 15:11:58 2003
Ford, N0FP wrote:

"It seems to me that this list is quite meaningless without the inclusion
of the other popular radios.  Any hand picked (either intentional or not)
collection of radios will exhibit quite a bit of variation in the sorting
of this list.

Specifically, radios excluded from the list include...

1000D
756PROII
746PRO
746 (with filters of course)

a host of other quality equipment"
----------
Tomorrow I will be A/B-ing an FT-1000D.

I hope to soon have a 756 PRO II to test.

I will soon be testing a 746 PRO.

A friend has a 746 (non-PRO), that he offerred for the test, but I
declined because it's a passe radio.  If you think it's that worthwhile,
I'll test it.

I'll soon be testing a TS-850SDX
==========

"Specific radios can exhibit varying degrees of misalignment.  Likewise,
tweaking ATT, PBT, and DSP controls can make an obvious difference.
Without an exhaustive list of accessories, tuning procedures, controlling
on-the-air environment, and modifications included in the test, the
situation is repleat with opportunities to simply get the list all out of
order."
Agreed.  Every effort is made to bring the signal out of the noise and
peak it for best readability.  I prefer to have the radio's owner present
while the tests are done because he is the person most familiar with
manipulating the radio's controls.

The list is getting long enough where I'll probably drop passe radios
from the list to keep it shorter because I'm using memory for determining
where to place a radio on the list.  The longer the list becomes, the
more difficult this is to reconcile.

73, de Earl, K6SE