Topband: RE: Omni VI+ A/B Test results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RE: Omni VI+ A/B Test results
From: k8mn at earthlink.net (Dave Heil)
Date: Wed Jun 25 06:20:22 2003
Michael Tope wrote:

> Interesting observations, Earl. Sounds like the problem
> with the Orion isn't group delay in the analog IF filters,
> but rather some other problem. Maybe it has something
> to do with the linearity of the detector and audio stages
> as Tom, W8JI suggested. Hopefully someone like Scott
> W4PA is reading your posts on the TT reflector and
> is getting the message that they still have some work
> to do. It would be a shame if the radio is a complete dud
> that can't be fixed as the IMD/BDR and phase noise
> numbers on it looked so good compared to everything
> else out there.

I hope that some of you will take time to ask other owners about their
views on the Orion.  I've observed nothing like the results which Earl
is reporting.  I don't believe that W4PA needs to get "the message" and
I don't believe that Ten Tec has work to do on the basic performance of
the Orion.  My only suggestions to the firmware crew at TT have been
toward improving functionality of bandstacking registers and the like.

Since I'm also one who looks for ulterior motives after an abrupt
reversal of opinion, I'd be interested in what explanation Earl can
offer for his reversal on the Orion.  His current comments don't jibe
with those he made a few weeks ago on the TT reflector.

Dave Heil K8MN