Topband: 160m receive performance

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m receive performance
From: sire at iinet.net.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Thu Jun 26 13:10:59 2003
G'day

Reading through the recent postings about receive performance, a couple of
things struck me.

1. On the basis of 30 years-plus as a radio amateur (and a couple of years
as editor of an amateur radio bookstand magazine) lab tests of radios are
only of limited use - they give you an rough idea of whether a radio is
worth trying out, but seldom reveal its real strongpoints or weaknesses.

2.  Endlessly customisable radios can mean endless problems in their
setting up.

3.  It is interesting to know what makes a radio perform well, but all most
of us want is better performance that is easy to adjust.

4.  We are all entitled to have an opinion on a particular radio, without
being taken to task over it.

On a final note, my guess is that most of us on this reflector would rather
rely on the opinion of a died-in-the wool topbander such as K6SE or W8JI as
to whether a radio is any good for weak signal 160m DX in a competitive
situation than on any lab test published in a AR magazine.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ