Topband: 160m receive performance

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160m receive performance
From: w3uls at 3n.net (John Rippey)
Date: Thu Jun 26 17:46:48 2003
Some comments in the posting by Steve, VK6VZ, struck a responsive chord
with me.

As a not-very-skilled op, I look first for simplicity and second for
performance (speaking largely CW here). That's why I have a Yaesu FT-920
and a Ten-Tec OMNI VI. Both are very easy to use. In fact, the FT-920 is
smooth as silk. However, no one would argue that the FT-920 would knock the
socks off an IC-746PRO, an ORION, or a 1000MP. I for one would be very
grateful if Yaesu would use the same ergonomics team that produced the
FT-920 and insert an up-to-date DSP-driven receiver behind the front panel.
(And also deal with the endemic key click problems.) Fat chance.

The top-of-the-line radios that are now out there are a bridge too far for
this ham.

So in serious QRM its the OMNI, for day-to-day driving, its the 920.

73,
John, W3ULS