Topband: RX comparison RF source

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: RX comparison RF source
From: k4ro at k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Fri Jun 27 12:25:28 2003
I was asked:
> What's a Time Machine?

The Time Machine that I was referring to was designed
by Expanded Spectrum Systems.  More info is available at:

http://www.expandedspectrumsystems.com/prod2.html

The device allows one to capture up to 80kHz of RF energy, and
then store it on an audio recording medium.  The RF can then
be played back through any receiver's antenna connector. The
TM is an amazing little device, and it was a big hit at our local
hamfest last month.  Thanks to W4PA for turning me on to ESS.

With the TM, one could capture a 160m contest for example, and
then put any number of receivers through repeated tests with
identical "antenna/band conditions" for every test.  With 80 kHz
to tune through, one could certainly find a wide variety of tough
conditions to judge a RX's performance.  And one could repeat
those conditions over and over, testing any number of parameters
on various receivers.

Currently, I only have crystals and BPF's for 20 meters.  If I
get the parts to put my TM on 160m, I'll record the some of the
next Top Band contest that I'm not competing in.  I can make the
recordings available to anyone who has a TM, possibly via the web.
I am also actively seeking Time Machine tapes for any CW contest.
For starters, I have six hours of 2002 CW SS to trade.

<End of commercial for ESS.  I have no pecuniary interest at all
 in the company.  I just think they have one very cool product. >

-Kirk  K4RO