Topband: ARRL BPL Video

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ARRL BPL Video
From: wa4tukhr at comcast.net (Patrick A. Thompson Sr.)
Date: Thu Aug 7 09:37:04 2003
I couldn't agree more!

The amount of interference from BPL makes concerns about fence chargers,
malfunctioning street lights, and fish net locators look trivial.

If the HF bands are blanketed at S9 or higher with a small mobile antenna,
what will the levels be with 256 feet of wire?  Which direction will you
point your directional array when you are completely surrounded by power
lines?

When you transmit and your neighbors internet goes down, who is he going to
blame?

All over the mailing lists and on-air I hear people pursuing their interests
in transmitters, antennas, amplifiers, and receivers both new and vintage.
What value will your station have when communication is impossible due to
BPL?

You know that you have a station capable of helping in emergencies and that
you are skilled enough to be a service to your community if called. How long
will you maintain that station when normal day-to-day communications is
killed?

This is not amateur radio versus the internet.  This is all HF users versus
greed and technical stupidity.

The ARRL is amateur radio's only unified voice whether you agree with them
on every other issue or not.

To stop BPL we will need money and influence.

If you can't bring yourself to join the ARRL then at least support amateur
radio by helping with this specific threat.

The window for reply comments is open until August 20.

Patrick A. Thompson Sr.
wa4tuk