Topband: Open wire feeder

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Open wire feeder
From: k4kyv at hotmail.com (Donald Chester)
Date: Fri Aug 8 21:39:02 2003

>I have 850 feet of open wire line to my 160 vertical.  There
>are numerous photos of it on my web site at
>http://www.n6rk.com/openwire.html.
>It is 4 AWG stranded aluminum XHHW wire, spaced 5 inches.  At
>both ends there are baluns to convert from unbalanced 50 ohms
>to balanced 50 ohms, and transformers to convert from balanced
>50 ohms to balanced 450 ohms.  The loss including the transformers
>is measured in tenths of a dB.

Another approach is to use a multi-wire open wire line, using 4 or more
conductors.  I have heard of ones using as many as 16 wires configured in a
matrix with a variety of patterns in which sets of wires are parallelled
together at both ends.  Such a  configuration can drastically reduce the
surge impedance of the line, and slightly lower the loss at a given SWR.  A
common arrangement in older broadcast installations was to use 5 wires to
form open wire "coax".  The pattern is a square with a wire at each corner
and a 5th wire in the middle of the square.  The wire acts as the centre
conductor, while the 4 outer wires forming the square are shorted together
at each end, to act as the "shield" of the  coax.

Don k4KYV