Topband: Open wire feeder

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Open wire feeder
From: earlham at radiks.net (Iowaguy)
Date: Thu Aug 7 22:56:38 2003
Greetings...

I've used open wire feeder successfully over the years in some fairly small,
limited applications.  However, I have a 160 transmit antenna that I'm
constructing that will be about 800 cable feet from the shack.
I'm considering using 450 ohm open feeder (the PVC coated variety).  Any
particular constraints on how it gets deployed?  I would like to run it
parallel to an old barb wire fence with wooden poles, tying the feeder to
the fence posts about 2' or 3' off the ground.  I will probably switch back
to 50 ohm coax as I near the field of the antenna so that I can bury the
feed line.  Any thoughts on a 600' or 700' run of open wire feeder.
Anything special I need to be aware of?

73...Dave
W0FLS