Topband:Shunt Fed Tower Info

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband:Shunt Fed Tower Info
From: W9UCW at aol.com (W9UCW@aol.com)
Date: Thu Aug 7 19:47:33 2003
Referring to the K5IU paper on unequal currents in  elevated radials, I was
surprised and intrigued when Tom, W8JI, commented that:

<"There is nothing in the article that supports the conclusions of the
article."

Reviewing the material, it seems to have a great deal of merit, based on
extensive measurements of elevated groundplanes at K5IU, WX0B, and W7XU. Plus,
there are many references to the work of others on the same subject. It ties
together well with the author's effort to identify design considerations for
optimal (and practical) elevated radial systems, minimizing the effects of
unequal
radial currents, and offering the builder options and results-to-be-expected
for numbers, lengths, and layout of radials. Seems like valuable info to me. I
would recommend it as required reading for anyone putting up an elevated
groundplane.

Tom commented that:

<"The idea that making an already-too-small radial system SMALLER would
<somehow suddenly make it work like a better larger system is silly."

I didn't find that conclusion drawn in the article....and in fact didn't find
anything "silly" about the work done in the piece. It is  analytically
presented. I am very interested in the statement Tom made, apparently refering
the difficulty getting more than one quarterwave radial in an elevated system
carry significant current (as per the article):

<"Significant amounts of measured data prove otherwise."

I for one, and I imagine others would like to have specific references (other
than Tom's website) to that "Significant amounts of measured data".
73's, Barry, W9UCW

Article in question: "Optimal Elevated Radial Vertical Antennas", Dick Weber,
K5IU, Communications Quarterly, Spring 1997, pp9-27