Topband: Re: Open wire feeders

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: Open wire feeders
From: richard at karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Sun Aug 10 05:55:17 2003
> I was pleased to see Craig, K1QX, and others refer to my October 1980,
> "Long transmission line for optimum antenna location."  I am still using
> my 4-wire lines, cross connected, to my two beams over 400 feet from the
>
> Henry G. Elwell, Jr. - N4UH

Perhaps the article answers this question, but why are
4 wire lines used?  The only possible advantage I can
think of would be lower characteristic impedance, but
since it is easy enough to build a good 50 ohm to 450
ohm broadband transformer, that doesn't really seem
to be much of an advantage.  I would think the loss for a
given weight of copper per foot of line would be
about a wash.  Also, I would think connecting the
lines in parallel instead of crossed would give
a lower loss per foot because the impedance is
higher.

Rick N6RK