Topband: IC-756pro2 A/B Test Results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: IC-756pro2 A/B Test Results
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed Aug 13 05:39:22 2003
Assuming all of the receivers are limited by external noise and don't have
some major flaw, a weak steady carrier in broadband somewhat smooth noise
would have a S/N ratio established by selectivity. Noise drops 3dB every
time selectivity is halved, while the signal remains the same. Using a 50Hz
filter of any type, it is a given that radio would rank better than a radio
with a wide filter.

This is one of the reasons people claim PSK can "hear" signals much better
than it really can when compared to CW. People listen for CW using a wide
filter (usually over 2kHz) directly to the ear while the PSK is detected on
a narrow filter in the computer. The end results on the air can be quite
different. When the operator uses a narrow CW filter and strong signals or
erratic noise pumps the AGC system in the receiver, the results are actually
the opposite.