Topband: IC-756pro2 A/B Test Results

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: IC-756pro2 A/B Test Results
From: n1eu at hotmail.com (Barry N1EU)
Date: Wed Aug 13 08:50:35 2003
Like many topbanders, I'm also very interested in the differences between
receivers in their ability to pull weak cw signals out of the noise.
Although I appreciate Earl's efforts in this regard, a question arises about
Earl's test methodology.  In my subjective experience, it's often the case
that I'm aware that a dx station is transmitting on frequency, and I can
tell when he begins and ends xmsn, but I still am unable to actually copy
the cw he's sending in the presence of the noise.  I'm intrigued that under
the same circumstances (and bandwiths), the signal is more "copyable" on
some receivers than others.

If I understand Earl's test methodology, he is checking readability of a
steady weak carrier.  Such a test would not seem to reveal the subjective
copyability that I've described.

73,
Barry N1EU