Topband: NTIA BPL Filing

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: NTIA BPL Filing
From: k6dgw at foothill.net (Fred Jensen)
Date: Mon Aug 18 20:21:15 2003

> At 07:33 AM 8/16/03 -0400, Michael Keane, K1MK wrote:
> >At 02:20 PM 8/15/03, KG6DV@cs.com wrote:
> >
> >>Look at the NTIS filing, they seem unaware of the posable effects on
> >>their MF/HF systems. Their filing mentioned concerns for their low VHF
> >>systems and then only if they were located close to a power line.
> >
> >The NTIA's Comments are at:
> >
> ><http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/fccfilings/2003/bplcomments_08132003.htm>
> >
> >They would seem to have a good grasp of the full extent of the potential
> >problems...
> >

> They do indeed, and the results of the extensive modeling and measurement
> effort they describe are obviously of critical interest to ARRL.  It would
> be very interesting to know the extent of the cooperation between ARRL and
> NTIA in this regard; obviously, it would be tremendously harmful to the
> amateur cause if the NTIA measurements contradicted or even failed to
> support ARRL's, at any frequency, but particularly MF and HF.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> The World HF Contest Station Database was updated August 4.
> 123 stations were added or updated.
> Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm

I suspect that the first paragraph of NTIA's response urging the FCC to
"move forward expeditiously" is a political nicety to the current
Commission and it's chairman, more than anything else.  The message I
got from their filing is, "BPL could have a large economic value ... BUT
... full compliance with the non-interference provisions of Part 15 MUST
be maintained."  Hard to argue with that.

Their test plan in the appendix is pretty ambitious for a two week
effort, however.
I've been part of a substantial number of RF field measurement efforts
in the past, and I am concerned at their almost total unrepeatability.
Time of day, weather, other traffic on the road, and (it seems, at
least) the alignment of the planets vs the tides, all contribute to a
statistical nightmare of data.  Extracting something from that data pile
on which verifiable predictions can be based is a very tough job.  I
believe the ARRL efforts have included (or will) a theoretical modeling
component as well.  I hope the NTIA's does too.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA