Topband: 1/2 wave tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 1/2 wave tower
From: feutz at wctc.net (Ron Feutz)
Date: Tue Aug 19 22:46:45 2003
Topbanders,

I have been toying with the idea of building some antennas for 160
contesting at one of my tower sites, a 240' SSV.  (I'm in the two-way land
mobile business).

Is it practical to shunt feed a 1/2^ vertical?  ON4UN's book doesn't
address feeding this monster, at least not that I could find.  Obviously,
it is grounded by the footings.

If I can get it loaded properly, I would like to suspend 1/2^ parasitic
elements from the top, sloping out, and switch them for 3 element
directivity in 4 directions.  Anyone ever try this?

I will be able to put plenty of long radials (1/2^ +) under it.

The other option would be a 1/2^ dipole 4-sq (the ground slopes away
unevenly in all directions, making a 1/4^ 4-sq problematic, as I would have
to use elevated radials and don't want wires running everywhere).  If I
were to do this, does the parasitic version work as well as the phased
version?  I would like to try the 1/2^ version, as I may have to deal with
detuning the tower to make the 1/4^ version work.

73,

Ron - WA9IRV