Re: Topband: 160 meter vertical

To: "bruce makas" <k1my@msn.com>, "Topband submital" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter vertical
From: "George & Marijke Guerin" <gmguerin@voyager.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:33:08 -0400
Bruce, et. al.,

Similar to Milt's reply, I recall someone using 11 straight sections of 25G,
a tapered top section with sleeve, and about 12 feet of 1-1/2 or 2 inch
galvanized pipe out the top.  The total length was about 128 feet.  Over a
good radial system, the feed point impedance should be about 38 ohms at 1830
KHz.  The 2:1 SWR bandwidth should be almost 100 KHz.
At W8TOP we ran 12 straight sections of 25G and a flat top section about 8
feet long, for a total of length of 126.5 feet.  (the sections telescope
about 3.5 inches each.  We used 120 radials up to 160 feet long.  The
antenna came in at about 1810 KHz.  We joked about trimming the bottom of
the top section to move the antenna up the band but did not do it.  The
insulators came from someone in W4 land.
Hope this helps,
73,    George    K8GG