Topband: Re: 160 meter vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Re: 160 meter vertical
From: "Bud Hippisley, K2KIR" <k2kir@telenet.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:11:30 -0400
At 08:33 AM 2003-08-28, K8GG wrote:

>At W8TOP we ran 12 straight sections of 25G and a flat top section about 8
>feet long, for a total of length of 126.5 feet.  (the sections telescope
>about 3.5 inches each.)

George's comment points up a subtlety about Rohn tower sections that I hadn't
noticed until this past winter -- each section of Rohn 25 is 10 feet 0 inches
overall, while Rohn 45 is 10 feet 5 inches overall.  A 160-meter vertical
constructed from 12 sections of Rohn 25 will be approximately 3.5 feet shorter
than one constructed from 12 sections of Rohn 45.

And if you're used to carrying Rohn 25 sections around inside your Suburban or
station wagon, you'll find that Rohn 45 is a bit of an extra challenge!

Bud, K2KIR

Bud, K2KIR