Topband: Vertical in the woods

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Vertical in the woods
From: "Jim Monahan" <K1PX@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:40:08 -0400
Tim:

Since 1990, I've lived at this location which is 7.5 acres of watershed
property. Heavily
wooded areas extend for considerable distances in all directions as this town
is a
rural community.

The woods are rather dense with trees and I had the same questions when I first
contemplated
putting up vertical antennas for 160.

As has been noted otherwise, I have been unable to find any data that indicates
expected
degradation, if any, from trees and foliage.

Over the years, I've put up several vertical and horizontal antennas for 160.
This usually
includes at least two of each type for comparison purposes.

What I have found, subjectively, is that during the time from the middle of May
to the middle
of November, is that the foliage apparently attenuates the signal about 10 dB
down
for my particular situation as compared to non-foliage periods.

Therefore, during these foliage periods, I always use one of the horizontal
antennas and
don't usually try to chase DX with them.

My verticals have either been top loaded or, currently, I have a 5/16 inverted
L that is about
90 feet vertical and 70 feet horizontal with 40 elevated radials all mounted in
with tree supports.

On many occasions, I have done comparisons within 500 miles and an occasional
DX contact
during the foliage season and the inverted L is always down about the 10 dB
amount previously
noted as compared to the horizontals in almost any situation.

I have no way of determining the amount of degradation from the trees
themselves even though
on numerous occasions, because of the amount of ground water, I've noted water
oozing out of
the trees when I install various standoffs to support the radials or the
beverages out in the woods.

This is certainly not the best location for good antenna performance but I have
had reasonably
results during the winter in contests and chasing DX.

73, Jim, K1PX

K1PX@msn.com